Step 1: Scheduling your Session
In order to reserve a date, you will choose your session date, sign the client agreement and pay a session fee of $250. The easiest way to choose your session date is via my online booking calendar that I will send you a link to, which will only take a few minutes.
As you pull out your calendar, here are a few things to consider:
- Fall dates are very popular and very limited, so be sure to book your session 3-4 months in advance.
- Given the beautiful colors and temperate weather, spring and fall are the busiest times of the year for outdoor photos in Virginia. If you’d like a session during those times, please be sure to get in touch as soon as possible!
- If you have a particular date or holiday by which you need prints or gifts (Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, Hanukkah, Christmas, a birthday, etc.), be sure to book a date at least one month in advance of that date to ensure sufficient processing and printing time.
- Babies and young children are almost universally at their very best first thing in the morning, which happens to also be a great time of day for beautiful light. If you have children under five years old, this might want to consider a session at or as close to sunrise as you can reasonably be ready.
- If you have older children or have one of those babies that doesn’t do mornings, the other time of day that gives my FAVORITE light is in the evening, about 1.5 hours prior to sunset.
- Beautiful photographs can be made in any kind of weather, but I understand that there are some downsides to being photographed in the pouring rain or the freezing cold. I can and do reschedule sessions for inclement weather, but am also happy to shoot at your home if sticking to the schedule is a priority.
Step 2: The Session Itself
Once we’ve decided on a time and date and officially put your session on the books, I’ll send you a link to my client questionnaire and a client guide that will walk you through everything from choosing outfits to strategies for getting kids to cooperate. That guide has been created and refined over years of experience, so it typically answers 90% of the questions that come up, but I’m always happy to set up a time to chat if you want additional help. Also included in that guide are instructions on how to access my online styling assistance that I provide to all my clients.
A few days before your session is scheduled, I’ll reach out to confirm our start time and location…at that point, if the forecast is questionable or someone seems to be coming down the flu (or in the current times, COVID), we can talk about our rescheduling options. Otherwise, that is the perfect time to ask any last minute questions or let me know if you’ve come up with a fun idea we haven’t discussed.
On the day of the session, please block off 1.5- 2 hours (2-2.5 hours for a newborn). Typically we are done in an hour or so, but I don’t charge by the hour, so if there’s some kind of wardrobe malfunction or child meltdown, I like to stay flexible.
Finally, take a breath and relax…I promise to give the grown-ups (and kids) breaks throughout the session as needed and to make it as painless as possible for everyone involved (yes, even the dads ). If it would ease tensions to crack open a beer or take a shot before, well then I say go for it! If I’m being honest, I have totally had my husband do this before our family photo sessions!
Step 3: The Fun Part!
Within just a few weeks of your session, you’ll receive an email from me letting you know that your photos are ready. Once you’ve had a chance to see them and marvel for a bit, you’ll let me know which collection you want to purchase. After that, you’ll have a full month to select the specific digital files and print items you want to use to fill that collection…zero pressure!
Your choice of 10 hand-edited high resolution digital files with print release
$80 gift credit good toward your choice of anything in the gallery store: prints, frames, albums, digital files, etc.
Your choice of 20 hand-edited high resolution digital files with print release
$250 gift credit good toward your choice of anything in the gallery store: prints, frames, albums, digital files, etc.
All hand-edited high resolution digital files with print release
$475 gift credit good toward your choice of anything in the gallery store: prints, frames, albums, digital files, etc.
All collections include the following:
Pre-session phone consultation
Session prep guide filled with session and styling tips
Online styling assistance
Prints & Products
What you are going to do with your images is perhaps the most important aspect to consider when you’re planning for a photo session, but it’s all too often the aspect that’s overlooked…all the time and money invested deserves a better return than photos gathering dust on a hard drive somewhere. You’ll never get the same feeling looking at your photos on a screen as you will seeing them on your wall or flipping through the pages of an album, so I include a substantial print credit with every collection. Below is a sample of some of the items you can choose from:
These prints are individually handled with a passionate eye for quality and detail. Featuring hand torn deckled edges and a lightly defined felt structure with brilliant colors and striking contrasts. Giving your images real pictorial depth that will last for generations.
PROFESSIONAL LAB PRINTS:
Your favorite images are printed on professional photo paper with a semi-gloss finish, for the highest quality long-lasting print. These full bleed prints are available in a variety of sizes, and are perfect for framing and hanging on the wall or giving as a special gift.
These beautiful hardwood frames will protect your prints from damage and help them look their very best in a spot for everyone to enjoy. Frames come in your choice of white, black, walnut, natural, or barnwood, and arrive ready to hang with all necessary hardware included.
These premium linen albums are printed on high-end matte photo paper with thick, lay flat pages. Layout and design options are limited only by your imagination. 10 spreads (20 pages) are included. Additional spreads can be added.